There is nothing about my nose you can tell me that I haven’t thought of myself.
We all have those moments when we feel a bit low and your self-esteem’s somewhere near the bottom of the Grand Canyon. People usually say to think of how kind you are or how much your friends adore you or some other better thing about yourself to pick yourself up. I am not like other people – I am a self-proclaimed weirdo. So I am going to say instead, take a dig at yourself!
Now before you start calling me crazy (you will be better informed to do so after reading the full post), I am not saying beat yourself up and be overly self-critical and hate yourself. Quite the opposite actually. Learn to laugh at yourself and then love yourself. Now I don’t know if this would really work for anyone besides myself but that’s why this post is in the Questionable Life Advice category.
Let’s take a trivial example, say my nose.
Now I haven’t had someone actually tell me anything negative about my nose but it is something I am overly aware of, especially since I look at myself in every reflective surface I pass by. It isn’t massive but it is big enough to bother me. So instead
of getting upset and googling a do-it-yourself nose job, I just joke about it until my annoyance dissipates and I walk past the store window. Here are some of the things I say to myself when I see the spaceship on my face:
- I should be able to rent it out considering how it offers more surface area than a Hong Kong apartment.
- Pfft, the Butterfly Effect, more like the [insert name here]’s Nose Effect. The air displaced by my nose when my face turns 1 degree in any direction is responsible for most climatic phenomena on this planet.
- Kids run away when they see my nose.
- In a fight, it would be more effective than my arm in knocking out a person. Limbs are overrated anyways.
- I think I could be the next Marvel Super… Villain! I have already submitted an application with photos – headshots, close-ups, ridiculous poses and all.
Now my nose doesn’t seem all that bad. It gave me a few laughs and material for a blog post. Besides, a normal nose is a boring nose. So people, embrace your big noses and other flaws. When the bad things are not all that bad, then your good qualities become amazing and all those amazing and not that bad features make you the extraordinary person that you are. Except me. I’m just self-proclaimed weirdo with a big nose.